Wednesday, May 11, 2011

First Oncology Appointment and Procedures

So, the oncology appointment was overwhelming. Lots and lots and lots of info. ( see all the lots? A LOT! ) Basically it was just info. I still don't know a whole lot. Isn't that how it goes? The patient most always knows the least. Funny. Anywho, the doctor is great. He's so kind and caring. I am really blessed he's the one who'll be taking care of me.

So...today I got home from bible study and had messages from the doc's office saying they had times for the P.E.T scan and bone marrow biopsy I need to have done. She called twice. Twice. In the last message she said she really needed to hear back from me as these were the only dates open for over a week. She said the dr didn't want to wait, so I needed to call her back asap.

Ok, first of all. I really wish nurses or doctors wouldn't say certain things. Such as....'the dr didn't want to wait' to get these tests. Ahem. Do they not know that those things can set people off into another flurry of worry? ( I'm a poet and didn't know it ) Anyway...so now I'm like super worried. Not that I haven't been worried sick since I was diagnosed. Gah.

Lemme back up. So, after I met with the oncologist I had to go to the financial counselor since we don't have insurance. Luckily, the dr deemed the tests emergent, so I won't have to pay any money upfront. Which is good, because I have none to give them. Now let's hope I get approved and don't have to pay for all of these outrageously expensive procedures. I think if you get cancer, automatically you should get help from the state or something. I don't know. It just pisses me off that people with cancer not only have to worry about their disease, but if they can afford it! Seriously.

Oh, talked to the social worker too..she is going to send me out a ton of paperwork/info on resources. The American Cancer society called today, but I wasn't home..then I napped. I'll call tomorrow and see what help they offer. She says there are a lot of resources, which is good to know.

I also came home with a file box kind of thing, to help keep track of appointments, tests/procedures, medications, doctor's/nurse's phone numbers etc. That will help, I think. I certainly am going to have a lot to keep track of.

So, PET scan first thing, then bone marrow biopsy. I can't lie, I'm scared. I didn't sign up for any of this. Yet here I am going through it. It's unfair. Last couple of days have been really rough. Walking into the dr's office, seeing cancer patients. Hearing him talk about my cancer, and what the next steps. This is real folks. Really effen real. ( I so wanted to type the F word, but I'll refrain, you get the drift. ) I hope I'm strong enough for all of this. I'm not feeling very strong today.

5 comments:

  1. i'm sorry the nurse worried you. BUT....after being on both sides of the desk, i am SO glad she was diligent about getting you scheduled as soon as possible. so often the patients have to be their own advocate and push the doctor's office ,etc. into getting things done quickly. especially when there isn't insurance. sad to say, but quite often patients fall through the cracks. i don't want you to. fall through a crack. you know what i mean. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the feeling that somewhere along this journey you might actually use the F word and not even care. You know what? We will all understand.

    I can't begin to know what you are going through but am so glad you are writing this.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see you started a blog. I hope that it helps get some of your emotions out. If you ever need to talk, I am always here. Only a phone call away. You are a very strong woman, look what you've been through already and how you've handled it. We love you and will continue to pray for you each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it helps, Elena, I'm here to tell you that the bone marrow biopsy isn't so bad. I had mine w/o sedation because I was pregnant with my son, Adam, so I only had something to numb the area. I felt like I had been kicked in the hip for a day or two. I'm pretty sure in most circumstances these days they give you the good fuzzy drugs.

    I like the file box idea. I should get organized like that. If you already haven't, you might want to ask your doc for copies of any tests, results, etc. If it's a really hip and cool place, they may even have online access to those records. I've been quicker to e-mail results or records to insurance than my doc's office has been to fax them!

    ((((Hugs)))) to you, Elena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doh! I meant YOU may have online access to your records! My bad!

    ReplyDelete